File this post under technical fyi / cya / wtf.
For the past few weeks we’ve been working out the kinks in our server-side processing of large data sets relating to scheduled and recurring tasks, which has affected a small but significant subset of users.
In a nutshell, prior to build 358, N2 relied on each client (desktop/mobile browser session) to process nightly task movement locally, and then post any changes (scheduled to next, next to focus etc) to the cloud. Since build 358 the primary responsibility for processing tasks has been moved back to the cloud, which then pushes changes out to the client. Role reversal.
The initial worker scripts we wrote to do all of this processing were a bit over-zealous in their consumption of memory. Kinda saw this coming, and to preempt it being a show-stopper we added some client-side code to detect if there are tasks that should have been processed but weren’t, with a “manual override” that conditionally appears in your Scheduled and Focus lists if relevant.
The appearance of the buttons “Move Scheduled Items Into Place Now” or “Bring Focus Up To Date Now” is N2’s way of letting you manually invoke the routine that moves tasks into place locally, without waiting for the cloud to do the processing. In an ideal world, you would never see these buttons as everything should be automatic. But you know… it’s like when the automatic doors don’t open when you walk up to them, at least you can still push ‘em open to get through. Or something like that.
I’ve been up all night monitoring and adjusting the worker scripts, and it looks like things are finally working as intended. But for folks in timezones GMT +1 ,0, -1, -2, -3, -4, -5 and -6 (ergo, the 8 hours preceding this post) you may see the “Bring Focus Up To Date” button. Just click it if you see it and you’re good to go. Also, if you’re in the aforementioned time zones you may not have received your daily email poke today. Sorry about that.
Will continue to monitor things for awhile, and if things continue to look good we’ll be able to put this issue behind us and move on… to more fun things that all this server-side processing makes possible, like calendar feeds and the like. :-)
We’ll be moving some things around this evening. We don’t anticipate any interruption of service, though you may notice some slight sluggishness in site response from time to time, or not. :-)
Will post progress on twitter @nirvanahq
We’ve been running the latest builds in Internet Explorer 9 for a few days now and, gosh darn it, I think we did it. We have N2 working in IE9 without chrome frame! (and it’s surprisingly snappy too)
I was worried for awhile there that we weren’t going to pull this off, which would have meant leaving a significant group of N1 fans—those poor souls who are restricted to using IE at work without admin rights to install anything—stranded after the cutover to N2. This pool is larger than you might think, and it would definitely have had an impact on our ability to gain wide adoption post launch.
It’s looking like we may get IE8 working too, which would be awesome.
For the geeks: Server-side we had work to get the api exposed via the same subdomain as the app, as IE’s default settings block cross-origin resource sharing. Client-side, well, we all know the joys of getting things to render reliably with any level of precision when you’re trying to support the full array of browsers, let alone pushing the envelope of html5 and jquery.
There are a bunch of bug fixes (UNL and Waiting-related, among others) and we added a few nice new features (multi-select-right-click being a big one). Barring any last minute hiccups, we expect to roll this out over the weekend.
There is a new account setting for choosing how new projects should be created… either as sequential or parallel. You can toggle projects between these two modes at any time, but it’s nice to be able to specify the type you use more often. It wasn’t working, but now it is. :-)
By the way… we’re experimenting with some code that tells N2 to check for version updates in the background every hour. With any luck build 269 should already been loaded into your cache, so a single refresh should do the trick.
If you are running Firefox and having troubles, read on.
Found a weird case with N2 Build 267 where Firefox was loading up without data… just an empty shell. If you’ve experienced this, Don’t Panic! :)
Try this first:
- refresh a few times until you see build 268 or higher
If that doesn’t seem to work:
- go to the FF options, select the Advanced->Network tab
- in the box at the bottom you’ll see a text box with “The following websites have stored data for offline use:” and there will be an entry for app.nirvanahq.com — select & remove that entry and click OK to close the options
- refresh your browser until you see build 268 or higher
Props to Dinis for bringing this to our attention and to David for finding the fix.