Well this took longer than anticipated. The update should apply itself automatically with a browser refresh.
- Assign colors to your tags. This makes for nice, quick visual cues when scanning lists of actions. Assign colors to existing tags by right-clicking on them, either in the main window, the context bar, or when manging tags via the tag library dialog.
- Find out how much time you need to complete a series of actions. Assuming you’ve assigned estimated Time (effort) required to complete your actions, you can now multi-select + right-click and look in the popup menu to see a quick tally of the time necessary to get to done
- Search Improvements – searching on multiple words (that don’t appear next to each other) will return results as expected. Note, we’ve removed Logbook results to help speed things up. If you really need to find something in your Logbook, start your search with “in:logbook” followed by whatever search terms you desire. example – “in:logbook adam work” → et voila.
- Long-running action/project names no longer bleed into UI elements from the right-side. This glitch used to manifest itself mainly for people with smaller screens, but hey, we have nothing against small screens.
- Creating a new action in Focus / grouped by state / while filtered for Due items now works as intended. Used to be that pressing hotkey N wouldn’t display the “New Action” UI properly. Now it does.
- As a first step towards overhauling our login towards a unified system, some login URLs have changed. But as we’ve placed redirects in all of the appropriate places, any existing bookmarks should continue to work fine.
Under the hood
This release is built on jQuery 2. It’s been many many months in the making (porting) and includes significant code refactoring for better performance across all browsers.
We’ve been working on this for awhile, and we’re happy to announce that you can now direct email to your Nirvana Inbox as a Bcc: recipient. :-)
Say what? OK, in case you didn’t know, Nirvana lets you create actions by email. When you send an email to your Nirvana account, the email subject becomes the action’s name, and the email body becomes the action’s notes. You can find your Inbox address on your Nirvana account dashboard, or by selecting Getting Started from the pulldown menu on the top-right of the screen (when you’re logged in to https://app.nirvanahq.com/).
While you could always send yourself an email as a normal To: or Cc: recipient, you can now include your Nirvana inbox address using the Bcc: field, which comes in handy when you’re sending an email to someone and want to send a copy to your Nirvana Inbox without your recipients knowing about your Nirvana Inbox email address.
An added bonus: this also means that you can set up forwarding rules in mail apps such as Gmail to (for example) automatically forward incoming email with specific search patterns to also arrive in your Nirvana inbox.
If you have any handy use-cases or tricks for using bcc, please be sure to share the knowledge. :-)
Update – Reminder:
For those folks that have been with us for a while – if you are still using the old Email-to-Inbox addresses pointing to the Nirvanahq.com domain, you need to make sure you update to use the Nirvanahq.in domain (the portion of the address prior to the @ symbol remains the same). The .com addresses had been deprecated for some time, but with this change are no longer valid.
A quick note to let everyone know that we’ve pushed out a bunch of updates to Nirvana. Here’s what’s new:
- Reference Lists
- Terminology Alignment: Tasks → Actions; Tags → Contexts
- Collapsable sections in left navi
- and a ton of other refinements
Will post a more in-depth look into what this all entails shortly.
In the mean time, detailed Release Notes are here:
An update for our many friends across the pond, you can now (finally) set your calendar week to start on Mondays if you so desire. Our first step down the path towards proper localisation — other languages and date formats to come in future releases — being able to start the week on Monday was a big one for a lot of people, so here it is.
Visit Settings » Preferences… and you’ll find the radio buttons to make this your preferred calendar view – over on the right-side of the Preferences dialog.
We also fixed a rather annoying rendering bug that was affecting Chrome users: that 4 pixel high line that would occasionally appear in the left navi is no longer. Thank goodness.
As always, release notes are here.
N2 Build 457 went live moments ago. And in our never-ending quest to create the most enjoyable and useful app known to GTDkind, Nirvana’s got some new tricks!
Create new tasks at the TOP of a list
- via hot key combo Shift + N
- via rapid entry field with Shift + Enter
Create new tasks in the MIDDLE of a list
- by Shift + Clicking on an existing task’s drag-handle (or any whitespace)
a new task will be inserted just above the one clicked
In addition, there were a host of bug fixes which you can read about over here.
Happy weekly-reviewing everyone.