Build 326 is now live. Reload them browsers!
From the Release Notes: 2011-October-24 (build 326)
- Rapid Entry field moved into main task window, rather than being a separate panel at the bottom
- Area filtering menu has been moved to top navi to better indicate global nature
- Search now limits to selected Area
- Logbook now shows completed items from selected Area only
- Focus has been moved to provide better visual grouping of GTD lists, resulting in a more natural GTD workflow (inbox –> next / waiting / scheduled / someday)
- Scheduling / Rescheduling tasks and projects now automatically removes them from Focus (un-star) until the new start date arrives
- When filing items from Inbox to other lists, there is a new preference setting to enable/disable automatic assignment to the globally selected Area
- When marking a project completed, any incompelte tasks remaining in the project are also marked completed (rather than cancelled)
- Inactive Project tasks do not show the “focus star” icon. This is to alleviate confusion as inactive project tasks are supressed from Focus anyway. This goes for Scheduled and Someday projects as well.
- Tasks can no longer be removed from Focus if they are due
- Hotkeys: numeric keys 1-9 have been remapped to reflect new list order in left navi
- Hotkeys: comma for prefs, “g” for Tag Library, “r” for Refresh (formerly sync)
- Added “Email this” to tasks, ala N1
- Less translucence and better buttons for all dialogs and prompts
- When creating new tasks inline, Nirvana does a better job of scrolling up/down to ensure that the task edit panel is within view
- Visual indication in main task area when showing an Area-filtered subset of tasks
- Visual indication in left navi when new build is available
- Getting Started and What’s New section added to Account menu (top right)
- Expanded notes are collapsed on completion
- Updated Login screen
- Fixed a bug where creating a new task within a project within the context of an Area would result in double tagging of Area
- Fixed a bug where renaming a tag with double quotes would sometimes fail
- Fixed a bug where editing tags would sometimes fail to repaint the screen to reflect the change
- Fixed a bug where hitting Enter when prompted for a Waiting For contact no longer fails to catch
- Fixed a bug where a task might not be immediately saved to the cloud (though it was always being picked up during the regular sync interval)
- Fixed a bug where repeating task preview of “next dates” would sometimes not being repainted on screen
- Fixed a bug where reordering projects in the main view would cause the left navi tag cloud area to jump around
- Fixed a bug where converting a task into a project via drag/drop onto projects was not honoring sequential/parallels user pref
- Repeating tasks are now timestamped to the “effective” creation date, which should reduce side-effects when merging spawned tasks from multiple devices
- Minor css / layout tweaks for better consistency between browsers / os
- Compatibility fix to work on iOS5 Safari
- Optimizations to reduce the need for ajax connection retries
- Last update from server is displayed on Home screen (date/time)
- Visual indication on Home screen when new build is available
- Updated Login screen
We’ll be moving some things around this evening. We don’t anticipate any interruption of service, though you may notice some slight sluggishness in site response from time to time, or not. :-)
Will post progress on twitter @nirvanahq
Heads up for the next release: we’ve moved things around in the left navi a bit. It’s nothing radical, but might take a bit of getting used to for the old guard.
- The filter-by-area menu has been pushed up to the global navi
- Focus has been placed below the standard GTD lists
- Projects has been renamed My Projects
- We’ve visually delineated and grouped items more clearly
Collect / Actions / Projects / Cleanup
Impact to keyboard shortcuts: numbers 1 through 9 have been remapped.
Impact to area filtering: search results are now filtered to match only items within the selected area. Logbook too. Inbox and Trash are the only exceptions to the (filtering) rule. We think this makes sense. By definition, inbox = unprocessed items, so applying a filter to these items is presumptuous. And really, who needs multiple trash cans.
Here’s the revised rollout plan:
- Push a few N2 builds – code cleanup / UI spruce up
- Monitor how things go for awhile
- Sunset N1 – migrating everyone over to N2
- Make sure everyone was able to transition smoothly
- Open Beta for N2 – no more invite queue, all new signups land in N2
- Monitor how things go for awhile
We basically tried to do too much of this in one fell swoop last week and there were just too many dependencies. Better to tackle in bite-sized chunks.
As these become ready they will be released:
- Native iPhone app
- Native Android app
Native mobile apps may be released before launch, or shortly thereafter. Depends on how things play out.
I know people have been wondering what we’ve been doing… Separating out the above steps required a bit of rework, but things have now been nicely decoupled (as they probably should have been all along, but you know, sometimes one can be optimistic to a fault).
Based on the feedback we’ve received, we’ve also decided to loosen up just a tad on the free plan restrictions, but more on that in a future post.
… try try again.
We made a Herculean effort to get things rolling over the weekend, but no dice. A few too many loose ends. I want everyone to regroup and tighten things up.
Looking for the silver lining, a truck-load of bugs were squashed and there was much server-side cleanup. We’ll probably roll another build or two to prove out the code changes, but in the mean time the beta label stays put.
It’s frustrating, but prudent.