Android update

Hi everybody!

It’s time for the long overdue update on whats happening with Android.

After some discussion, and looking at where we’ve got to with Android to date, we’ve decided to abandon the current direction we were taking with the Android app. Instead, we’ve decided to go with the fine folks at WhereCloud to develop the Android version of Nirvana.

In the end, it is the right choice, and should lead to a stronger product on that platform. Thanks to all the beta testers to date who have shared feedback with us. For those of you on Android, you can continue using the beta if it helps you out on your day to day.

While we’re loath to give dates, I can tell you the timeline currently on the boards should see a v1.0 in about 2 months, barring any major hiccups.

m.

Comments

14 Comments on Android update

1. inkvizitor68sl on Mon, 4th Feb 2013 2:13 pm
  2. Are there way now to get beta android app? I mean, “old beta” app? Or subscribe to new betas, so i will not miss new app ?

3. meeech on Mon, 4th Feb 2013 2:42 pm
  4. @ inkvizitor68sl You can still get the beta app that is out there – see http://forums.nirvanahq.com/discussion/310/android-beta/p1 . When we start betas for the new app we will make an announcement.

5. Michele on Wed, 6th Feb 2013 8:21 am
  6. Are we going to see any new updates before the Android app?

7. meeech on Wed, 6th Feb 2013 5:03 pm
  8. @michele you’ll have to be more specific. Are you referring to the current android app?

9. PeA on Wed, 6th Feb 2013 7:30 pm
  10. Sooo looking forward to this!

11. Michele on Thu, 7th Feb 2013 5:44 am
  12. I meant to ask if Nirvana web is going to be updated in the menatime, since I have no use to the android app and I am eager to see some updates on Nirvana web (smart filters and nested project on top).

13. Neil on Fri, 8th Feb 2013 6:35 am
  14. If I could chip in, I’d hope that that the android app is kept simple, fast, reliable, usable and visually clean. Functionality should reflect that available on the website, for example, the ability to sort tasks. Something closer to GTasks (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.dayup.gtask&hl=en) for example or even Tasks (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.teamtasks.tasks.paid&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNoLnRlYW10YXNrcy50YXNrcy5wYWlkIl0.) would be great … just with the Nirvana approach.

With regard to the future of the Nirvana as a whole, I would request being wary of the assumption of continual ‘updates’ and focus on maintaining balance between simplicity and functionality. I came from using Toodledo which I found becoming heavy and bloated – in fact it was starting to get in the way of actually doing the tasks. What I wanted is something simple with orderable tasks, but with the flexiblity of tags that I could use it to tune to the way I work. Nirvana fits the bill perfectly. It has some fantastic little features (like scheduling etc). So while some changes to Nirvana may be needed and add to the value of the application, please don’t just assume that more and more features are necessarily better. (I’m not pointing at Michele’s suggestions in particular, but I am raising a question as to the assumption that progress be defined by the march towards adding more and more functions, rather than supporting the most appropriate user experience).

15. Stephen on Wed, 13th Feb 2013 3:59 pm
  16. Hey Neil, I concur. Something naive to Android, simple and FAST. That’s what If love.

17. Stephen on Wed, 13th Feb 2013 4:00 pm
  18. That should have read native, not naive!

19. Arnlen on Fri, 15th Feb 2013 2:39 pm
  20. Great!
    And now, what about a Windows Phone app? :D
    Please, think to us!!!

21. hernytan on Sun, 17th Feb 2013 3:42 am
  22. Great!
    Can’t wait to hear when it comes out!

23. David on Mon, 18th Feb 2013 11:14 am
  24. @Arnlen – I’ll keep the WinPhone idea alive; I’m a .Net developer :-)

Our customer base and the marketshare goes to iOS and Android, so those had to be done first.

David

25. John on Tue, 19th Feb 2013 7:48 am
  26. Glad to hear this!

Are you going to maintain/continue developing the app in house after WhereCloud has developed the first version?

27. Kehfyn on Wed, 20th Feb 2013 1:55 pm
  28. Happy to hear this, and hopefully it will be a better product in the end.

I reallyreallyreally love the web app for computer browsers, so I am trying hard to trust you guys.