A Better GTD Experience (video preview)

While we’ve been busy working on new features, we’ve also decided to loop back and improve on some existing features that people have been requesting.  As our mission is to make the experience of GTD as intuitive and effortless as possible, we’re always looking at ways to remove clutter, makes things faster, and help size up your next action without wasting precious brain cycles.

Check out the screencast below to see where we’re headed.

We’re working out the kinks this week and hope to have these changes rolled out soon.

We hope you’re as excited as we are!

Comments

40 Comments on A Better GTD Experience (video preview)

1. Mickey on Mon, 7th Jun 2010 11:17 am
  2. I noticed the “unassigned” in there. Does this mean that sharing/delegation is coming with this update?

3. javier Maseda on Mon, 7th Jun 2010 11:21 am
  4. Amazing, great improvements, I’cant way to play with it.

Congrats, great job…

5. MarcinGTD on Mon, 7th Jun 2010 11:27 am
  6. Awesome!

7. Firas on Mon, 7th Jun 2010 11:31 am
  8. It’s amazing. Please keep the good work! My favourite one is the ability to select multiple items for drag-n-drop.
    I don’t want to be a nagger, but I truly wished to see the scheduled/recurring task being implemented first. This is the only thing which I have to do manually at the moment, and I really missed it so much.

Best wishes.

9. Stephen Hobson on Mon, 7th Jun 2010 11:38 am
  10. Looks great! I am really looking forward to the new menus at the top and the multi-drag-n-drop capabilities. Keep up the good work!

Stephen Hobson

11. Elbert on Mon, 7th Jun 2010 11:38 am
  12. @firas – Hear you loud and clear. We’re working on scheduled/recurring in parallel. (yes, we can walk and chew gum at the same time!)

Was feeling the need to post something on our blog as it’d been awhile since our last update, so we thought we’d share this to keep the fans at bay, if only for a little bit. :-)

13. Brian on Mon, 7th Jun 2010 11:44 am
  14. Looking great guys – keep working the AJAX magic!

15. Elbert on Mon, 7th Jun 2010 11:47 am
  16. @mickey – alas, not yet. that “unassigned” is to filter for tasks/projects that are not assigned to an area of responsibility/focus. scheduled/recurring comes first… then probably the api. we’ll tackle the collaborative features just as soon as we get all of the core gtd elements fully implemented.

17. kbaxter on Mon, 7th Jun 2010 1:08 pm
  18. These improvements look great!

Do you know where improvements to the “next” list fit in your schedule? People have been talking about it a lot on the discussion board, and it’s really the biggest issue with Nirvana right now, in my opinion.

19. Mickey on Mon, 7th Jun 2010 1:42 pm
  20. Elbert — Thanks for the clarification. While I hate that it’s further away, I agree with your priority list.

I also agree that scheduling/recurring is more important. Keep it up!

21. Proximo on Mon, 7th Jun 2010 2:33 pm
  22. Looking great.

These small changes make a huge difference from a user perspective.

The quick entry is fantastic.

23. Daniel W on Mon, 7th Jun 2010 2:38 pm
  24. Wow, looks fantastic! Looking forward to seeing it implemented.

25. Vin Thomas on Mon, 7th Jun 2010 4:33 pm
  26. Wow! This looks amazing! Can’t wait until you release this. Any timeline?

27. Drucik on Mon, 7th Jun 2010 4:58 pm
  28. Changes to creating tasks are avesome!
    Also multiselect tasks is important.
    I’m looking forward to test new UI soon.

29. danilo on Mon, 7th Jun 2010 5:06 pm
  30. great! especially the quick add field.

someone should do a “gnome do” addon as soon as the api is out.

31. DC Clarke on Mon, 7th Jun 2010 5:23 pm
  32. This is great! You folks have nicely incorporated many of the feature we’ve been discussing. Looking forward to this update!

33. Michel Peterson on Mon, 7th Jun 2010 6:05 pm
  34. WOW! I want that! I really love how things are being developed. In a near future I’ll be more than glad to pay for this product so keep up the good work!

A quick note that I can’t miss making. In that quick entry dialog I would add two things:

– Ability to apply contexts (with @)
    – Autocomplete for tags, contexts, etc

BTW, I’m curious about the technologies behind Nirvana, could you give us some insights?

Cheers!

35. Glenn on Mon, 7th Jun 2010 7:49 pm
  36. AWESOME! Way cool.

Can’t wait to try it all out. : -)

37. Mick on Tue, 8th Jun 2010 3:24 am
  38. Actually my favorite improvement is the ability to shift the frame border that separates tasks from the sidebar.
    A lot of my projects have truncated names and my monitor is quite big.

39. felicia on Tue, 8th Jun 2010 11:48 am
  40. Great work on the user interface here. I’m excited to start working with the new drag-and-drop functionality and the quick entry.

Would also love to see more ability to quickly code for projects or focus areas within the quick entry field… it would save the extra step of having to drag the item into the correct project/focus area.

But this is fantastic. I just started using Nirvana and am really pleased with it — great online replacement for my love of Cultured Code’s Things.

41. Sunni on Tue, 8th Jun 2010 12:15 pm
  42. Totally love the modifications. Thank you for being so attentive to user needs. Totally off-topic question: Which tool are you using for your screencasts? We’re using Jing pro account but exploring a change. Looking at what others are doing. Thanks much for sharing.

43. Christiane on Tue, 8th Jun 2010 1:03 pm
  44. Hi Sunni, We use ScreenFlow (we are mac users) for our screencasts. Love it.

45. netparticles on Tue, 8th Jun 2010 4:03 pm
  46. It sounds great but the movie is not loading for me! It is blank and says “Movie not loaded” when I right-click.

47. jason on Tue, 8th Jun 2010 7:25 pm
  48. This is looking GREAT!!

wow! I think you may be pulling me back from toodledo.. darn you! :)

49. Vin Thomas on Wed, 9th Jun 2010 1:30 am
  50. Also, I’d hope to see the quick add features translate into adding tasks via email.

51. Elbert on Wed, 9th Jun 2010 8:32 am
  52. @vin – but of course. :-) a lot of these changes are being made to better support emailing tasks in to nirvana. we want to let people email multiple tasks at once using the email body area (one task per line, for example), and for this to be truly useful we need to a) allow for tagging and due dates, and b) have a quick way to file tasks (multi-drag/drop) once the tasks are in. this will also facilitate importing data from other task managers.

53. Sam on Wed, 9th Jun 2010 9:16 am
  54. Any word on timing of roll out? These new features are very exciting and would love to get my hands on them.

Keep up the great work!!

55. Christiane on Wed, 9th Jun 2010 9:54 am
  56. hi @richardtea… try going to the video directly on YouTube. Should load from there:

57. Rob on Thu, 10th Jun 2010 10:38 am
  58. Wow!! Great stuff! I have been itching for a new release…. the obvious question is …

WHEN?

Good job,
    Rob.

59. Glenn on Thu, 10th Jun 2010 2:48 pm
  60. So, now that you’ve teased the faithful into a frenzy, when are we going to be able to indulge ourselves with this???

61. nirvana « n o c t u r n a on Thu, 10th Jun 2010 9:57 pm
  62. [...] à minha vida, pessoal e profissional, uma melhor e fácil organização. No passado dia 7, neste artigo, foram apresentadas algumas aguardadas melhorias para breve. Podem também ler uma completa [...]

63. Christiane on Fri, 11th Jun 2010 9:10 am
  64. @nocturna… Obrigado pelo excelente artigo!

65. Christiane on Fri, 11th Jun 2010 9:12 am
  66. @glenn @rob… soon soon! We are knocking out final kinks but since there are tons of feature upgrades in this release expect it within the week (we are gunning for sooner though)

67. Mick on Thu, 17th Jun 2010 7:11 pm
  68. A week? That means today! :)

69. Elbert on Thu, 17th Jun 2010 7:20 pm
  70. we’re aiming for saturday. with probably 15 min downtime while we move stuff around. hopefully we can pull this off. it’s a big release. fingers-crossed…

71. Phoenix on Sat, 19th Jun 2010 10:18 am
  72. How is it going? It’s saturday. We are looking forward seeing new features :) Do you plan to release it today?

Great job!

73. MardiGrasStephen on Sat, 19th Jun 2010 1:41 pm
  74. It is Saturday ;-)

75. Gerald Aungst on Sun, 20th Jun 2010 7:11 am
  76. It’s a little thing, but the feature that made me say “Yess!!!” was only having one drag handle on a task. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone to move something and picked the wrong handle. Simple things for simple minds, I suppose. ;) A lot of great improvements here. Keep up the great work.

So…since you missed the Saturday target, any guesses when it will actually happen…? :)

77. Kar Yung Tom on Sun, 20th Jun 2010 3:55 pm
  78. New ETA?

79. John Hopkins on Wed, 30th Jun 2010 1:06 pm
  80. Ditto on the single drag handle. cleaner overall. Seems to perform better. Really nice work folks.